Being in a place without a real winter has made it difficult for me to feel a sense of seasonal changes. One thing I’ve always looked forward to at the end of winter is the emergence of spring vegetables. This includes one of my favorite members of the allium family, ramps. I don’t know when ramp season starts here in Santa Cruz. I haven’t seen them in the markets yet but I’m waiting patiently. Meanwhile, I’m bookmarking recipes using ramps. Clearly I’m not alone in my ramp reverence (much to the chagrin of those tired of this so-called ramp-age.)
- This idea for white cheddar grits with ramps from Saveur sounds awesome, for instance.
- And this idea for grilled zucchini with ramp aioli.
- Serious Eats also suggests pickling the pungent leek relative and ramps with fried eggs and bacon.
- Risotto with ramps, asparagus and peas is a classic but excellent idea.
- Of course, you can also drink your ramps with this Ramp Gibson.
Yum! Can’t wait to find some ramps.